How to get a streetlight

A property owner can petition the city to initiate an assessment project to install lighting on the street adjacent to their property. This type of installation is for complete, lighting system on the street. Property owners are responsible for their share of the costs of installation and annual maintenance.

If you wish to discuss any of these two alternatives and their requirements, please contact the Community Services Division at (213) 847-1400 or email

Information for first time street lighting systems

A property owner can petition LADWP to request the installation of a utility light on a wooden pole.  To make a request, do any of the following:

  1. Fill in and email the application form (pdf) to
  2. Fill in and submit an online request
  3. Call the Community Services Division at (213) 847-1400
Where requested, a new utilitarian light may be installed if the location meets all of the following criteria:

  1. There is an existing wooden utility pole at the requested location.
  2. There is no other street light within 300 feet, or, the location is at an unlighted intersection with a wooden utility pole.
  3. The utility pole must not be on private property. If the utility pole is on private property please call the Department of Water and Power at 1 800 DIAL DWP for information on the Outdoor Area Lighting Program.
  4. The request is to light a public right-of-way (street, sidewalk or alley).
*A new utilitarian light may require the signature of the four closest property owners to the proposed new light.