Broken StreetLight
There are several ways to report a streetlight outage:
  • Use the MyLA311 web portal and click on the orange 'Create Service Request' button, the ‘Problems & Repairs’ option, and then either the ‘Single Streetlight Issue’ or 'Multiple Streetlight Issue' option
  • Use the MyLA311 app (available for iPhone or Android devices) and select the ‘Street Light Out/Damaged’ option under ‘Submit Service Request’
  • Call 3-1-1
  • Use our online form
  • Send an email to